My Rating: 69% (C+)
Pitchfork Rating: 65%
Rolling Stone Rating: 60%
Metacritic Rating: 80%
Average Rating: 69%
Tracklist (Standout songs underlined):
- Ferris Wheel (Feat. Vinia Mojica & Marie Daulne)
- Soul Power
- Aquarius (Feat. Bilal & Erykah Badu)
- Electric Wire Hustler Flower (Feat. Sonny Sandoval)
- The Hustle (Feat. Omar & Dart Chillz)
- Come Close (Feat. Mary J. Blige)
- New Wave (Feat. Laetitia Sadier)
- Star 69 (P.S. With Love) (Feat. Bilal & Prince)
- I Got A Right Ta (Feat. Pharrell)
- Between Me, You And Liberation
- I Am Music (Feat. Jill Scott)
- Jimi Was A Rock Star (Feat. Erykah Badu)
- Heaven Somewhere (Feat. Omar, Cee-Lo Green, Bilal, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu & Pops)
Favourite Song on Album:
Listen to This Album When You’re:
Just taking it easy on a rainy lazy day.
Thoughts on Album Cover:
It’s kind of ugly.
Want to Own on Vinyl?:
Not this one.
Common makes great tunes, but not always great albums, which is exactly the case with Electric Circus, a fairly uneven record with some catchy tracks dispersed throughout. Hip-Hop is a hard genre to make a completely even album, what with the tendency to over-use interludes and the constant guest appearances, but that doesn’t excuse the case here. Sometimes I wonder if emcees are actually putting together a planned album, or if they are just putting a seemingly random set of tracks that they had stored for a rainy day, regardless Electric Circus is certainly not a bad album, it’s just uneven and a little sloppy at times.